Oleksandr Fefelov, the Head of Antitrust and Competition Practice, appointed as Partner at Ilyashev & Partners Law Firm. Oleksandr has been heading the Antitrust and Competition Practice of Ilyashev & Partners since 2010. Under his management the firm’s practice has gained international recognition and was awarded the Legal Award 2018.
“Oleksandr has significantly contributed to the development of our firm, and we are glad he joins the partnership, – said Mikhail Ilyashev, the Managing Partner at Ilyashev & Partners. – The appointment of the Head of Antitrust and Competition Practice as a Partner testifies to the fact that not only we consider this practice to be one of the key and promising practices, but also to the high assessment of personal and professional qualities of Oleksandr Fefelov”.
Oleksandr Fefelov is an attorney at law, member of International Bar Association, member of the Public Council at the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine since 2012, the Head of Legal Committee and member of the Presidium of the AMCU Public Council. He actively participates in the work of the Public Council to ensure successful policy-making and expert work in the field of antitrust and competition law, as well as to improve the effective interaction of public bodies, businesses and society.
“I am grateful to the firm and especially our clients for the opportunity to work within a team of remarkable and loyal and committed colleagues, – commented Oleksandr Fefelov. – I am happy to contribute to the further strategic development of the firm”.
Being a well-recognized expert in the field, Oleksandr has 23 years of experience in the antimonopoly regulation. Oleksandr’s overall experience in law is 27 years. According to the results of the annual Ukrainian survey “Client’s Choice: TOP-100 Best Lawyers of Ukraine – 2018”, published by the Yurydychna Gazeta, Oleksandr Fefelov is among the top-100 best lawyers of Ukraine in the opinion of business representatives. Oleksandr is recommended as one of the leading lawyers in antitrust and competition based on the independent survey of Chambers Europe 2018 and the Ukrainian survey “Ukrainian Law Firms 2018. A Handbook for Foreign Clients”.
Oleksandr Fefelov’s expertise includes advising clients on various aspects of the law on protection of economic competition, which include, inter alia: consulting and representing of clients’ interests in the course of challenging the violations of law in the field of public procurements, in cases of unfair competition, abuse of monopoly position, anticompetitive concerted practices, as wells as representing clients in the AMCU in matters related to obtaining merger clearances and permits for concerted practices, state aid. The Antitrust and Competition Practice headed by Oleksandr Fefelov ensures legal support in cases involving allegations of anti-competitive concerted practices, including participation in cartels, and abuse of the monopoly position. Oleksandr represents clients in disputes, including court disputes, with other business entities and the Antimonopoly Committee in cases related to the violations of competition law. He gives master-classes on issues of antitrust compliance and rules of conduct during inspections carried out by the AMCU bodies.
In addition, Oleksandr manages and oversees in the firm the legal support of M&A transactions, due diligence of business entities, drafting and legal analysis of M&A agreements, structuring of transactions.
Some recent projects with participation of Oleksandr Fefelov:
- Advising LetterOne Group in the project of acquisition of the German oil company RWE Dea for EUR 5.1 bln, including the receipt of the merger clearance in Ukraine.
- Obtaining the AMCU merger clearance for acquisition by LetterOne Group of the Norwegian subsidiary of E.ON Group.
- Obtaining the AMCU merger clearance for acquisition by Koch Industries of shares of Buckeye Technologies for the amount of USD 1.5 bln.
- Provision of legal support in the process of acquisition of Alior Bank by PZU S.A. (Ukrainian segment).
- Legal support of acquisition of four insurance companies in Eastern Europe by PZU SA (Ukrainian segment).
- Supporting the two acquisition of 100% equity stake of IDS Borjomi.
- Advising on the acquisition of three Ukrainian companies of Nofa Dominus Group.
- Legal support of Ukrainian segment during the restructuring of a giant international financial and industrial group.
- Provision of legal consultations in connection with the scheduled corporate restructuring of Danone Ukraine.
- Consulting Ukrainian companies included into Sorbes Group regarding the matters of allegation in anticompetitive concerted practices. Successful appeal in the court of the AMCU’s decision on acknowledgment of the group’s companies to be the parties to the cartel and imposition of a multi-million hryvnias fine.
- Advising during the acquisition by Hydro Energy Holding of several companies involved in the management of hydroelectric power stations for the amount of USD 40 mln, and obtaining the AMCU merger clearance.
- Obtaining six AMCU merger clearances during the restructuring of the holding companies of an international investment and industrial group.
- Ensuring the obtaining the AMCU permit for the acquisition of shares of a number of regional gas-transmitting and supplying companies in the process of their privatization.
- Provision of consultations to State Enterprise “Antonov” on issues of the antimonopoly law in Ukraine and abroad.
- Obtaining the provisional findings regarding the absence of the necessity to obtain the AMCU permit for certain clients of the firm.
- Obtaining merger clearance for a number of Ukrainian companies holding leading positions in various spheres of economy.
- Representation before the AMCU and in the courts of the interests of the clients accused of abusing their monopoly position, as well as of the performing of the anticompetition concerted actions.
- Representation of a number of clients in the process of contesting violations in the sphere of public procurements.
- Representation of one of the largest transport companies of Ukraine in various cases related to protection of its interest in the AMCU from abuse of monopoly position of some other business subjects.
- Organizing workshops for the clients regarding the antimonopoly compliance issues, as well as regarding their conduct during the inspections carried out by the AMCU.
Oleksandr Fefelov is a regular participant, speaker and moderator at various national and international forums, conferences, other professional events in the field of antitrust regulation; he is an author of articles and comments on this subject published in professional editions and electronic media, actively participates in policy-making and expert work in the field of antitrust and competition law, protection of competition, improvement of effective interaction between the state authorities, business circles and the public.